If you want to drive a commercial vehicle, Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration says that you need a Commercial Driver’s License. Driving a commercial vehicle seems like a very attractive job, but you need to take some important training and qualification tests to get the CDL. To get a CDL, you have to enroll a training school, complete the course, and get the license upon graduating.Get the facts at Idaho CDL Training website
Here are six ways to get CDL training:
1. Get The CDL Permit – Get the D-51 form. This asks you to fill out all your medical records. Get it filled by your doctor. Present this form before applying for the written exam with the DMV. When you pass the exam you get the CDL permit. This allows you to practice driving a commercial vehicle in the presence of a driver who has CDL training.
2. Applications And Background Checks – After you get the permit, go to the DMV and get form DL-44. Provide documents for your age, address and social security number. You are eligible for CDL training only after DMV has thoroughly checked your background. You have to take a vision test also before you can apply for CDL training.
3. Enroll in a Truck Driving School – There are several community colleges, private job training institutes, and truck driving schools in your city. Find out one that suits all your needs and requirements and enroll for their classes. You can enroll for full-time or part-time courses. The duration of your training will depend on the nature of your classes.
4. Get Proper Classroom Training – CDL training is not merely about driving a truck. You also need to know the basic mechanics of a truck, so that you can handle problems on the road. To get a CDL, you have to drive well and also know the physics behind a truck.
5. Get Driving Experience – Employers look for a trucker with a good driving experience. If you want a good job, then you need to gather driving experience. There are several training schools that help you get good driving experience on your own.
6. Take The Driving Test – After completing your CDL training, you have to sit for a driving exam. Once your training is complete, your school will schedule a test for you. DMV tests your driving and other skill sets that are required on the road while driving a commercial vehicle. You do not have to give this test if you have a signed the form D-140 with your employer.